Sunday 20 April 2014

Easter Weekend



Oreo Cheese Cake

Here is the Easter weekend for a special post. Twenty two years ago I had my first child on an Easter weekend. My gynae calculated the expected date of delivery was on Labour Day which is 1st May in Singapore. Imagine undergoing labour on Labour Day is not something to laugh about. So he arrived a little early, on Saturday night after six hours of labour. I had with me the brick game to play with to take my mind off the pain. Indeed that was funny, because when the pain became intense I think nothing could help. Inhaling the gas (Nitrous Oxide) commonly known as laughing gas, did not relieve the pain immediately because the pain has already started. It was a delayed reaction. For a first time mother, I panic after my water bag burst, the thought of the worse is yet to come made me want to cry.
 


This year his birthday falls on Good Friday. When looking around for his cake, my girl and I spotted some hot cross buns. We know nothing about this bun except from the nursery rhyme. I couldn't explain to her how this bun originate from. I was also wondering whether the Hot Cross Buns has anything to do with Easter. There is some homework to be done :- The buns are spiced sweet buns made with fruits decorated with a cross. Hot cross buns were hawked by street sellers to the cry of "Hot Cross Buns" around the nineteenth century. Such buns are generally sold at Easter to celebrate the religious significance of the resurrection of Christ after his death on the cross.

What does the Easter bunny have to do with Easter?  The origin of the Easter Bunny can be traced back to 13th century when people in Germany worshiped several gods and goddesses. The rabbit is often associated with the Teutonic deity Eostre and it is from her name that the word Easter is thought to have evolved. Eostre was the goddess of spring and fertility. 


For the Christians, Easter egg symbolize the empty tomb of Jesus. The egg resembles the stone of a tomb, and when the egg hatches life spring forth from it. Representing resurrection. The eggs are dyed red to symbolize the blood of Christ. This holiday also has pagan origins celebrating the spring season. A novel way for children celebrating this festival is this game called the Easter Egg Hunt. In Germany parents hide coloured eggs about the house and garden so the children may amuse themselves in discovering them. In other countries like Germany, the tradition of decorating the eggs is taken seriously. The link below is about the Easter Egg.


Well, this Easter I learn a little more about the other aspects of Easter. There is a lot more to read about on other practices and traditions that celebrates Easter. Goodbye for now. Hope you holiday is meaningful. I sure was blessed by the testimonies I heard in church this Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment